Dizzy Lizzie’s Farm is hiring a farm assistant for the 2016 season. We are a small diversified certified organic family farm located in Erieville, NY (about 45 minutes from Syracuse). The farm consists of approximately 102 acres: 60 acres in mixed woods, 25 tillable, and 20 marsh. We have almost 3 acres in perennial mixed berries, rhubarb and lavender while growing around 5 acres of vegetables, flowers, along with other annual/perennial crops. We grow for our different CSA options, local farmers’ markets, local colleges, restaurants, and wholesale.
We are looking for a sharp, passionate, efficient, hardworking, and eager to learn farm assistant. The farm assistant will be responsible for helping out on all aspects of the farm. Their responsibilities will include but not be limited to assisting on greenhouse propagating, harvesting, cultivation, weeding, butchering meat birds, maintaining poultry, maple production, producing value added products, monitoring for pest and diseases and preparing flower bouquets. They will also possibly be responsible for setting up displays and manning the booth at one farmers’ market weekly.
Skills and qualifications:
• MUST HAVE PRIOR FARM EXPERIENCE
• We are looking for a strong, motivated and eager individual who enjoys and can tolerate working outside in all weather conditions and takes immense pride in their work.
• Can work efficiently independently and as part of a team
• Organized and hardworking
• Has experience interacting with the public, either in an customer service or educational setting
• Ability to follow written and oral instructions and willingness to seek guidance as needed
• Clear communication skills
• Mechanical inclinations as related to small machinery, irrigation, and carpentry
• Has an eye for detail, especially in regards to setting up displays and arranging flowers
• Basic computer and recordkeeping skills
• Flexibility and a sense of humor
• Ability to lift 50+ pounds
• Valid Driver’s license.
Position will start in March as a 2-3 day position to 4-5 day position from May – October. Work weeks will average at 40 hour work weeks. Pay will be based upon past experience.